2014 CHILE PEPPER CHALLENGE
Sunday, September 28, 2014
La Vina Winery
The Chile Pepper Challenge is El Paso’s premier cycling event. Over 900 cyclists line up for an epic ride through the scenic and historic Mesilla Valley over country lanes covered by pecan orchards and lined by New Mexico's world renowned chile fields. The Chile Pepper Challenge offers routes, distances and mountain climbs for cyclists of all skill levels and ambition. Five ride alternatives are available, 100 miles, 62 miles, 40 miles, 25 miles and a 10 mile fun ride. All rides start and end at La Vina Winery, 4201 S. NM Highway 28 in La Union, NM. Each ride is fully supported with rest stops, route markings and SAG vehicles. Rest stops offer snacks, water and port-a-potties. After the ride enjoy food, drinks, vendor booths and live music by Azucar at the Chile Pepper Fiesta on the patio of La Vina.
The Chile Pepper Challenge is a fund raising event with thousands of dollars raised and contributed annually to local charities. This year all proceeds to benefit the El Paso Diabetes Association.
On-line and mail in registration is now closed. You still have three opportunities to register. In person registration will be held at the Rider Package Pick Up and Registration events:
- Friday, September 26th from 5:00pm until 9:00pm, at Academy Sports (Eastside Location), 201 S Americas, Ave
- Saturday, September 27th from 12:00pm (noon) until 7:00pm at Academy Sports (Westside Location), 801 S Mesa Hills or
- Sunday before the ride at La Vina, September 28th starting at 6:30am.
To expedite processing at the in-person registration please complete and print our PDF Registration form and bring it with you. For mail-in and in-person registration each rider must complete and sign the registration form and liability waiver, one form per rider. Tandems must complete two forms, one for each rider. Riders age 17 and under must have a form signed by a parent or guardian. Blank forms can be found at most local bike shops and will be available at the in-person registration sites. Support your local bike shop!
Please note that at this time the payment options at Friday, Saturday and Sunday (in-person) registration are cash and checks only. There are ATM machines near both locations. If you plan to register on Sunday before your ride please allow plenty of time to complete the process before your ride starts.
- Friday, September 26th and Saturday, September 27th, in-person - $35
- Sunday, September 28th before the ride, in-person - $40
- Riders age 15 and under accompanied by a paid adult rider are free! Riders age 15 and under must register with a mail in form or at one of the in-person registration events with proof of a registered parent or guardian. Active.com will not accept riders age 15 and under unless they pay the full ride fee.
Tandems need to register and pay for each rider individually.
Pre-registered riders can pick up their rider package:
- Friday, September 26th from 5:00pm until 9:00pm, Academy Sports (Eastside Location), 201 S Americas, Ave
- Saturday, September 27th from 12:00pm (noon) until 7:00pm Academy Sports (Westside Location), 801 S Mesa Hills or
- before the ride on Sunday, September 28th starting at 6:30am.
Ride Maps, Directions and Start Times
- 100 miles-7:30am Updated on 9/7!
- 62 miles-9:00am Updated on 9/7!
- 40 miles-9:30am
- 25 miles-10:30am
- 10 miles-10:45am
All rides start and end at La Vina Winery, 4201 S. NM Highway 28 in La Union, NM.
Jerseys, tee-shirts and socks are available to commemorate your participation in the 2014 Chile Pepper Challenge.
The 2014 ride jersey represents a clean classic style. Produced by Primal Wear exclusively for 2014 event, they are sport cut and come in both men's and women's styles and sizes. Available sizes range from XS to 3XL. The price for these one of a kind jerseys is $75 each. Please note - Orders placed after August 3rd, 2014 will not be delivered in time for the ride. We will make a second order with Primal in early October and the jersey will be mailed directly to you in mid-December. Click here for sizing chart.
The 2014 Chile Pepper Challenge tee-shirts will echo the unique design elements of the ride jersey. Price for tee-shirts is $15 and are available in sizes ranging from Small to XXL.
Your feet will thank you for slipping on a pair of the exclusive Chile Pepper Challenge socks. Not only are they stylish but will keep your feet cool and fresh as you pedal along. Price is $10 per pair, one size fits all.